Our artworks are created by Melbourne based artist, Hannah Nowlan. All of our artworks are hand painted original oil paintings (not prints), meaning each piece is 100% one of a kind. Utilising beautiful French made Arches 100% cotton rag paper, acid free matt board and foam core. Our works on canvas are made with 100% Linen with a clear transparent prime. Handcrafted Grain of Descent frames surround our artworks, made from quality Australian timbers with detailed joinery.
myths, moons and mountains
Hannah's new collection Myths, Moons and Mountains is a definitive body of work, bringing together her distinctive abstract style and newly developed themes from her residency in Lisbon, Portugal. This series explores the young artist’s strong connection with the coastal landscape depicted through bold shapes, overlapping planes of glaze and colour, a muted earthy palate and subtle strokes of texture. Harking back to the modernist influences of Bauhaus these works are distinctly contemporary using confident strokes and designs.
OCEAN SERIES & GEOMETRIC SERIES
Hannah currently has two previous collections of oil paintings; ‘Ocean Series’, which looks closely at the symbolism and transcendental meditative nature of the ocean through the fluid mix of coastal colourings & textures. As well as her second collection; 'Geometric Series', which is inspired by the connection between the moon & the ocean, structure & transparency. Furthering Hannah's interests in landscape & seascape painting.
Commission artworks are available for purchase upon request. Hand painted by our artist Hannah Nowlan onto high quality archival French Arches 100% cotton rag paper or 100% Linen canvas. Created in customised sizes with a colour palette and style of your choice. All artworks can be purchased unframed or framed / individually or in sets. Please send us an enquiry for more information or to request your own Commission Artwork today.
ARTWORK FRAMING INFO
All of our framing is handcrafted and made to order. Our signature Grain of Descent framing encompasses a box frame with single or double biscuit joinery detailing in the corners. We use a selection of recycled and new timbers in a range of dark to light colour tones. We aim to enhance the natural history of the timber by showcasing the natural imperfections, grain and organic scarring within the timber.
Our timber is hand sanded until smooth and varnished with a clear water-based protective coating. We float mount our artworks upon acid free foam core & matt board. We only use archival framers tape & brown Kikusui tape for optimum longevity.
You may have noticed that we do not use glass or perspex when framing our oil paintings. This framing method enhances the vivid textures and colours found within our artworks, however, some extra care needs to be taken when looking after your artwork to avoid fading or buckling over time. For more information about caring for your artwork, please refer to our Care Instructions tab.
We are now offering Framing services for your artworks. We can create a frame for your artworks that will not only protect your artworks but also exhibit your piece with integrity. Our bespoke handcrafted frames are individually made by us, in our Grain of Descent workshop based in Melbourne. Customised framing can be organised upon appointment - we can come to you and view your artworks or you can bring them to our studio. For more information or a quote, please fill in our enquiry form.
ARTWORK CARE INSTRUCTIONS
Please note that the following care instruction details are only general guidelines. Please refer to each artworks individual detail descriptions for specific medium and material information. All of our original artworks are made with care and attention to detail. Our original oil paintings & prints are purposefully framed without glass in order to highlight & maximise the viewing experience of the work. Although this means they are highly susceptible to their environments, particularly to sunlight & humidity. We suggest the following care instructions in order to maximise optimum longevity of your artwork;
- (1) Please avoid hanging your pieces in direct sunlight or in settings that are very humid. Due to the delicacy of works on paper, these harsh conditions can cause your artwork to fade, discolour, ripple, sweat or buckle over time.
- (2) If dust forms over your painting you may gently wipe over the surface of the piece with a soft micro-fibre cloth or lightly dust with a very soft brush.
- (3) Avoid any water or oils to come in direct contact with your artwork.
- (4) Hanging - all of our artworks are framed with high strength d-rings & braided wire in order to ensure hanging longevity. Please use plaster plugs or wall mates when hanging your work on a plaster wall to ensure the hook or screw you use will hold over time. Hannah Nowlan & Grain of Descent will not be held accountable for any damage made to your artwork due to improper hanging, display or installation of your artwork after purchasing. However, if any damage is made to the artwork or framing, we are more than happy to inspect the damage and if deemed fixable, we can restore the artwork or framing at an additional cost.
- (5) Travelling - if you are moving house or simply moving your artwork, we suggest wrapping your work carefully in bubble wrap & a layer of sturdy brown paper for protection. Take extra care when wrapping the front - avoid any sticky tape or packing tape to touch the paper & add extra bubble wrap over corners for added protection.
ARTWORK SHIPPING INFO
Shipping is an additional cost during checkout and is not included in the price of the artwork. All our artworks are meticulously, carefully, wrapped and packaged before shipping in order to make sure no damage will occur to your artwork during shipping. For unframed works we carefully roll and package your artwork into a sturdy cardboard mailing tube. All our artworks are shipped with online tracking and insurance covering the full value of the artwork for added peace of mind when ordering one of our original artworks online.
Please Note: All Shipping charges include an insurance cover, up to the amount of the artwork’s value. This cover is added to all our orders over $100 for extra peace of mind.
For more information about our shipping policies, particularly for our Regional Australian customers and International customers, please refer to our Shipping + Handling page.